Varieties of hosting solutions
A hosting service means saving and/or sharing specific content on a hosting server hosted by a web hosting supplier. There are various forms of hosting services used for different purposes, so let's take a look at these. Doing so, you can elect what you need, on the basis of whether you wish to create a web portal, email box accounts, or to share files with buddies and associates.
- File hosting: a solution supplied by certain web hosts, which enables you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived files, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole objective is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a list of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free-of-charge file storage plans often involve adverts by the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a given spell of time to see them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you possess a paid file storage plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no restriction in regard to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting retailers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly mistaken interpretation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would allot the load between different packs of servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending various web space hosting services (email, storage space, statistics, DNS, databases, web site hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is just a brand of a disk storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; specific companies provide a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting brand is appropriate if you wish to share a large quantity of pics with friends or acquaintances since the solution is generally free of charge. You will receive a random link for each and every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution dedicated to managing your electronic mail accounts. Some suppliers offer site hosting services for sites, but do not supply an email hosting solution. If you want to keep an email address with your domain name but do not desire to have a website, then the e-mail hosting service is what you want. You can open mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a particular video clip, or you can embed the video file in your web page that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of availing of this approach instead of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video brings about a specific amount of CPU load, so with a few video clips and several hundred website visitors, you may have trouble with your web space hosting quotas. Embedding the video file will allow you to utilize as many video files as you wish without bothering about system reserves.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you need if you want to have a website. To a certain degree, it involves all of the aforementioned hosting brands since, along with your web pages, you can also host pics and files, you can create databases and email address accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At Radspace, for example, you can have a peek at web hosting and dedicated hosting services that allow you to have all of the aforementioned services in a single location. There may be limits based on the type of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web hosting package may be better or worse compared to the usual e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are tailored for particular web content solely.